10 Tips for Freezing
Freezing associated with Parkinson’s Disease is a common problem. Here are some useful tips
1. Walk to a rhythm eg “1 – 2”, “left – right” in time with each step
2. Have a purposeful walk. Saying “long legs” or “heel heel” will encourage better stride
3. Walk at a pace that feels comfortable to you ( and not someone else)
4. Try swinging your arms. It may help your stride. If not let the arms relax
5. Stand tall. A stooped posture may contribute to freezing
6. To improve posture stand with your back to a wall. This will encourage an upright posture and provide a reference.
7. Focus on 1 task at a time. ie walking and not what you will do once you reach your destination eg answer the door.
8. Turning – lift the feet, count with each step
9. Remove clutter or excess furniture as narrow spaces can increase freezing .
10. When sitting down /getting up from the table. Step sideway.
Hope you find this helpful and practical.