ELDERLY CARE │ HOME CARE FOR THE ELDERLY
Aids & Appliances
There are numerous aids and appliances on the market to help with all aspects of daily living e.g.
- bed levers for getting in and out of bed,
- foot splints to reduce tripping when walking,
- sticks / frames to help with walking itself.
- Hi-tech assistive devices such as bioness to help floor clearance www.bioness.com
These aids can help preserve your quality of life and independence. Discussion with a Chartered Physiotherapist can provide valuable guidance in deciding which is most appropriate for you. Before choosing an aid/appliance it is critical to establish:
- The specific problems you are experiencing e.g. difficulty getting in/out of the chair, deterioration in walking.
- Determine if an aid would help.
- Decide which aid would be most suitable. There may be many different features which need to be matched to your requirements.
- Trial the device. This will indicate suitability.
At Dublin Physiotherapy we assess, advise on and provide many aids that can improve mobility and function. Typical aids / appliances we assess and supply include:
- Walking sticks
- Walking frames
- Knee supports
- Elbow and wrist supports
- Ankle supports
- Ankle splints – dictus and foot up splints
- Ankle foot orthosis ( AFO)
- Bioness walking device
- Functional Electrical stimulators (FES)
- Perching stools
- Lumbar rolls
- Neck supports
- Bed levers
- Chair raisers
- Transfer boards
- Facial electrical stimulators
- Gym mats
Please feel free to call to schedule an appointment, get advice or to discuss any concerns you may have. 01 8829174.